Where the spirit leads the feet will follow.
Down distant paths for unmapped miles.
Heads forget but hearts remember:
The art of living knows no bounds.

"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even think to ask." - Jeff Johnson, 180 Degrees South

"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

* Sunrise Paddle @ Yorty Creek

I wanted to get out for an early paddle at Yorty Creek for a couple of reasons. 1) The early morning hours the last week or so have been spectacular with the hot weather. Bright, calm and quite. 2) Get on and off the water while normal people sleep (July 4th holiday crowd).

I was planning on hauling the kayak the short mile to the water from the locked gate. The Army Corp opens the gate at 7:00, but that's way to late. To my complete delight the gate was open when I rounded the turn at about 5:15 AM. OTW @ 5:30 AM.

The general plan was to paddle out to the main body, loop around the point and head up the Cherry Creek arm. I did exactly that and found no one on the water except a pontoon boat tied to shore with fisherman who had probably spent the night. I avoided them, they ignored me, and I continued up the arm for a short visit.

Miles: 5.5
Total Time: 03:00:00

Off the main lake body and up into Cherry Creek as the sun start it's rise over the low hills.
I'm heading for this small arm.
An Osprey warms in the morning sun.
A closer view.
Looking up the small creek arm I will explore.
A cup of hot coffee in the morning stillness.
Looking up the creek. A lot of wild pig activity in this area.
The Osprey looking me over on the paddle back.
A close up.

No comments:

Post a Comment