Where the spirit leads the feet will follow.
Down distant paths for unmapped miles.
Heads forget but hearts remember:
The art of living knows no bounds.

"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even think to ask." - Jeff Johnson, 180 Degrees South

"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Wheeler Peak Attempt

Great hiking on Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park...until I hit the 60-70mph winds. About a half mile to go to the summit, at the saddle right below the final climb. I waited in a rock shelter for about 30 minutes hoping it might die down, but I think it got worse. 10 minutes of down-climbing and I was out of the worst of it. By the time I got down to the bottom of the ridge it was a pleasant breeze.

I started early and had the mountain to myself until I started meeting climbers lower on the ridge as I climbed down. I hope the wind died down enough that they made it up later in the morning.










 









No comments:

Post a Comment